Friday, February 17, 2012

What Really Matters

Tonight my 11-month-old made me step back and evaluate how I see things. Rebecca and I (ok, mainly Rebecca) have been cleaning our house in preparation for having company this weekend. Here's basically how things went. Rebecca or I pick up toys, clothes, etc. and put them away. Claire follows and proceeds to get out whatever was just put away plus one other item. We move Claire, put up what she got out, and the process starts over again. Needless to say we felt like we were getting nowhere.

As Rebecca and I were both trying to clean her room she started playing with one of her ring stacking toys. Rebecca and I got some things put away and then we found ourselves sitting in the floor playing with her and cheering for her as she stacked the rings on the base. It was then that Rebecca made a statement that struck a chord in me. She said to Claire, "Thank you for helping me realize what is important."

That simple statement made me realize how easily and how often we let "things" get in the way of people. In Luke's gospel we read about Jesus going to spend time in the house of Mary and Martha. These sisters took very different approaches to entertaining Jesus. Martha cooked and cleaned while Mary sat and talked with Jesus. When Martha became angry that Mary wasn't helping her, Jesus took Mary's side. He said to Martha, "Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her" (luke 10:42).

We only get one chance to spend each moment we are given. Sometimes we must choose between doing two "good" things such as cleaning and being hospitable or spending time with loved ones and becoming invested in their lives. My eleven-month-old will be a year old very soon, and I know I'm not going to feel bad if my house is a little bit untidy because I was busy spending time with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment