Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentine's Day Date at Connor's



As I said previously, Connor's Steakhouse made my list of best places to eat in Huntsville even though I had never eaten there. Now that I have experienced Connor's, I know it deserves its place on my list.  My wife and I went on our Valentine's Day date on Saturday because it's easier to find a babysitter on a Saturday than on a Tuesday.  We enjoyed having a little time to ourselves and being able to have adult conversation without being interrupted.  (Read: there were some long pauses where we didn't know what to say or do because we're so used to having two girls with us all the time.)  Now, back to Connor's.

I had made reservations at the end of January just to make sure we got a table since I knew they'd be busy around Valentine's Day.  We walked in just before our reservation time, told the hostess our name, and were seated in a booth in the back of the restaurant immediately. We were greeted quickly by our waiter who provided us with a description of the Valentine's Day specials. We were both hungry, so everything sounded good.  We ordered our drinks and an appetizer of battered fried mushrooms with a creole mustard sauce. The mushrooms were fresh, meaty and delicately battered and fried, much better than any other fried mushrooms I've ever had. We only ate about half of them to make sure we saved room for the rest of our meal.


Our second course consisted of soups. My wife ordered their signature lobster and crab bisque, and I ordered the soup du jour. I don't remember the exact name of it, but it was something like smoky chicken poblano soup. Whatever it was called, it was wonderful. It had a bit of a southwestern kick to it (from the smoked peppers). If it's available, I'd highly recommend it. If it's not, the lobster and crab bisque is fantastic as well.


For our main dishes, my wife ordered the Connor's 6 oz filet cooked medium with a side of their made-from-scratch mac and cheese. I ordered the 6 oz boursin filet cooked medium with a side of cheese grits. The presentation was simple with the side dishes in their own bowls.  My steak was topped with a generous portion of boursin cheese and tobacco onions.  As we started cutting into our steaks, we knew we were in for a treat. Our butter knives sliced the steak without any trouble. After one bite, we both realize we were going to have a new high mark with which we will compare all other steaks.  Just to see how tender my steak was, I cut my second bite with my fork, and it cut easily. Hands down, the filets at Connor's are THE BEST STEAKS we have ever eaten.

Their mac and cheese is good, not overly cheesy with just a hint of pepper. The cheese grits were fantastic. I'm not really a fan of grits, but I'm pretty sure they used the lobster and crab bisque to add flavor and moisture to the grits. We went in hungry, and we left with a full to-go box because we couldn't even eat our sides.

If you ever get a chance to experience Connor's, do yourself a favor and make a reservation and never look back.  We will be dining there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment