Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Reading for Improvement

One of the things that working on my MBA has forced me to do is to begin reading again.  After I finished college, I jumped into work with a job that was similar to my computer science degree, but it really had nothing to do with any of the classes I had taken.  So I had to read to figure out what I was to do.  For about four weeks straight, I did very little at work other than read.  I think that experience overwhelmed me to the point that I became burned out on reading.  It was shortly after this that my fiancee (now wife) and I got married, and all of the changes associated with being married pushed reading way down on my list of things to do.  Fast forward a few years and not much had changed.  I had read a few books here and there, but nothing of any significance.  In the back of my mind, I knew it would take some event to make me start reading again.

Four months after our child was born, I started working toward my MBA.  My thought process was that if I didn't start it soon it would take me much longer to finish.  I witnessed it with my former boss who put his pursuit of a Master's degree on hiatus while his children grew up, and I didn't want the same thing to happen to me.  I enrolled in the online MBA program at Freed-Hardeman University in January of 2009.  I found several advantages of their class format which consists of five eight-week sessions per year.  The first advantage is that by doubling classes in two of the eight-week sessions, I could complete my degree in two years instead of two and a half to three years that most other universities offered.  My company offers tuition reimbursement, but it was going to cost less to get my degree through FHU than a local university, so the decision paid off there as well.  Finally, one of my undergraduate classes is basically the same as a graduate class requirement, so I don't have to take that grad class.

A year later I am over half way through my MBA and holding on to a 4.0.  I have learned many things about leadership, resource management and marketing management, and I've learned how much I dislike financial management.  (A little secret: I really didn't dislike it too much because it really challenged me.)  Most importantly, my pursuit of an MBA has made me read again.  I read more in the last twelve months than I did the previous five years combined.  And now I remember how much I love to read.  (This statement will make my mom really proud and happy; she's a second and third grade teacher.)

This year, one of my goals was to read six books.  I want to read for pleasure, but I want to read to improve my life.  My grandfather, J. Walker Whittle, loves to say that "when you stop learning, you stop improving" and "if you're not moving forward, you're going backward" and other variations of the same theme.  He has been a life-long student and has more wisdom than anyone I know.  If he values learning that much, I know I should, too.  For this year, and for years to come, I will read to make myself better.  And When I read something of value, I'll share it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment